The Camrose Board of Trade – Camrose & District Chamber of Commerce History
On April 3, 1908 citizens of Camrose met to discuss the possibility of forming a Camrose Board of Trade. Francois Adam was the first president of the Board and the vice-president was J.K. Burgess. The board was not completely incorporated until June 1910 due to provisions of the Revised Statutes of Canada. The name changed to the Camrose & District Board of Trade in 1953, to the Camrose Chamber of Commerce in 1961 and to the Camrose & District Chamber of Commerce in 2014.
Birdie Fowler was the first female President of an Alberta Chamber and also served on the boards of both the Alberta and the Canadian Chambers of Commerce.
Martin West was recognized as a Life Member of the Alberta Chambers of Commerce for his contribution while serving on their board.
Over the years, the Chamber of Commerce has proven to be active voice for the businesses and community organizations of Camrose. In 2012, the Camrose Chamber presented 2 policies to the Canadian Chamber of Commerce on behalf of the membership.
One of the primary initiatives the Chamber undertook was the sponsoring of the first Jaywalkers Jamboree in 1958. The success and popularity of this event has grown and expanded thanks to the continued spirit of the Chamber. In 2017 the Camrose & District Chamber of Commerce hosted and celebrated the 60th Jaywalkers Jamboree.